Sunday, September 14, 2003

Contiki Tour - Barcelona

Hola!

Howdy people from Barcelona Spain - got some free internet time from a friend of mine at Contiki here so thought I’d send my thoughts on Barcelona!

Firstly it smells as if the whole city is a urinal. However there were two things that made up for that which is:


· This huge Cathedral built by some gothic artist named Gaudi. It’s huge, it’s gothic, it’s designed by a mad man who created art out of dead bodies and animals, and it’s awesome!

· These huge fountains by this castle (yes I don’t know the names because they’re in Spanish). They’re known to be the best fountains in the world and I heartily agree as they’re huge and change colours and move about and do all sorts of cool formations etc.

Before I reached Spain however I got to see the huge aqueduct (Pont de Gard) in southern France.

You know words really can’t describe what I’m seeing and experiencing here hence the continuous use of the word “awesome”. It’s amazing how today’s buildings cannot match the sheer majesty and beauty of the monuments and buildings I am seeing here. The fact that most of these buildings took years - if not centuries - to build is hard to imagine.

Anyway, Barcelona on the whole wasn’t as exciting as I thought but I think I was spoiled by Paris. However, I did enjoy a night sitting on the Barcelona beach at night with friends drinking (of course) and watching the usual antics that occur in such situations (nudie runs, people being dunked - we even dunked our tour manager, who was slightly annoyed by that because he lost his beer)

Also enjoyed a dinner out in Barcelona, eating traditional paella (yum), and sangria (double yum - Jenny you are right it’s great stuff)

For those curious it’s made from red wine, fruit and the secret Spanish ingredient is Fanta Mix well and leave it overnight. Have it with ice, and unless you want to get absolutely sloshed do not eat the toxicated fruit

Oh yeah, also enjoyed a traditional French meal in Paris, with a French lady with a harpsichord playing French songs, lots of wine being drunk and yummy food.

Yes I did eat snails (escargots) they taste like beef to me. I also had real champagne, (not sparkling wine, which we are led to believe is Champagne). Thought it was too sweet but still nice.

Yes this email is all over the place and has no structure of flow but so many things are happening up here (like being bothered by Spanish kids running around the computer room at the campsite I’m staying at) it’s hard to sound coherent at all.

Anyway tomorrow it’s the French Riviera and Monaco, so I will keep you all informed soon of my progress.

Till then, Adios!

No comments: