Saturday, September 6, 2003

London

Hello peoples,

OK, let’s start from the beginning;

The flight over wasn't every enjoyable. I did get to see Ayers rock from above but couldn't take a photo cause my camera was in my bag which was lodged under my feet and my dinner that was being served. Add to that 22 hours of air time and not getting much sleep and playing footsies with a complete stranger in the battle for the middle seat as a footrest when sleeping (because it's near impossible to stretch ones legs or sleep in comfy position without having at least two seats), and jet lag, and ones first overseas flight did not go as smoothly as desired.

But all is well now, having landed in Heathrow Airport and after getting lost, eventually making my way to Emily’s (a good friend living in London) house to stay the night. She's been very helpful, even cooking me lamb roast for dinner and showing me the local area and etc. Her studio flat is pretty cool, it's underground but with a big skylight that is the only window in the place that lets light in the whole place.

Anyway, some observations of UK:

· Their “@” symbol is where the " mark is on the keyboard and vice versa. Weird.

· On escalators, you stand in the right and overtake in the left, but with driving it's the other way around! Go figure.

· Londoners do not know how to get anywhere nearby. They even don’t know where they are at the moment.

· London is like Sydney but less pretentious, the roads are shocking but the people are nice.

· Streets are rarely signposted.


I’m about to embark on a 25-day tour of Western Europe since I’ve had no experience in travelling or any idea what Europe has to offer. I’m hoping I’ll learn a lot of things I need in order to travel successfully on my own.

Wish me luck! J

No comments: