Saturday, June 10, 2006

James heads for Asia...Finally!

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last wrote, mainly because i've been stuck
in Melbourne not having done much travelling (does Tasmania count?) in
the last 7 months. However, these last months back at home has been a
nice reprieve from living out of a backpack, sleeping on dirty
squashed mattresses and cramped bus seats. And home cooked meals! The
best invention since sliced bread - or as was in my case, the
ubiquitous kebab; cheap, filling, and seen running rampant all over
Europe and the Middle East (from the tiny pickled ones of Jordan to
the monster kebabs of Poland - the size of ones head - which you have
to eat with a fork!).

Despite the creature comforts of home, the travel bug won't leave me
alone. And so, I pick up my dusty backpack, and yet again abandon
reality and the voice in my head urging me to settle down in order to
see most of the world before my 30th birthday (give or take).

So..

The plan is to work for a whole year teaching English in Seoul (South
Korea). This will follow a year of travel through the whole of Asia
itself, followed perhaps by another year teaching in Japan, or even
Eastern Europe. I'll then live a nomadic life; making my way to South
America, teaching, travelling and volunteering, head my way up through
the US and Canada, and then Africa (where I'll do more work and
volunteering). By this time I should be 30 or so and be ready (in
theory) to deal with "real life"!

Of course Australia is still part of the travel plan, though I plan to
do that with my parents when they retire. My dad has dreams of
travelling around Australia in a 4WD, and I can never turn down a good
road trip!

Of course these are just plans, in truth it's hard to say what or
where i'll end up. Last time I planned a 6 month venture to Western
Europe, it ended in my 2.5year joint around Europe/Middle East. So who
knows...

MY LIFE THESE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS

Basically I got too comfortable living the routine of normal life! I
was planning to leave by February!

Because I knew I was going to leave again soon, I've been staying with
my parents, found temporary work selling internet and mobiles for
Telstra (Australia's largest Telecommunications provider), and
generally relaxing and catching up with friends and family. And
enjoying home cooked meals.

I've also enjoyed the company of some of you fellow overseas
travellers coming over to stay with me or show you around my hometown
of Melbourne.

I've had my mate John from England experience a "east meets west"
Christmas with my family (eg turkey stuffed with fried rice) and also
birdwatching in the Yoo yang mountains. John also took me to one of
the Boxing Day test matches (instead of the other way around, since I
don't know much about cricket - and to think I call myself
Australian!)

Monica from Romania (who runs a hostel in Suceava
http://www.classhostel.ro - have a guess who made the website? )
also came Downunder. I took her to places such as the fairy penguins
and seals on Phillip Island, the Great Ocean Road, and at the last
minute she talked me into going on a quick 3 day trip around Tasmania
with her.

A BIT ABOUT TASMANIA

I'm glad I did, since Tasmania is quite beautiful in its wilderness, a
"mini version of New Zealand" one tourist noted. With a hired car we
drove on crazy winding mountain roads, took many unhappy insects with
us on an unexpected journey through the countryside (i.e splattered on
the car front), explored the huge rainforests with moss covered
1000-year-old huon pines, sassaffras, redwoods, blackwoods, all kinds
of woods; we cruised the UNESCO Heritage listed Gordon river (only
place which meets 7/10 requirements of the UNESCO criteria - an UNESCO
site only needs 1 to make it on the list!), visited the magestic
Cradle mountain and Cataract gorge, and dined on the best fresh fish
I've ever eaten in Hobart, Strahan and Launceston, which are more big
towns than cities. Friendly locals, though some of them are clearly
inbred... Joking!

FINDING WORK IN KOREA

To start, I thought it would be best to complete a TESOL Certification
(http://www.teachinternational.com), making me now a "qualified
English teacher to speakers of other languages". I now know what
"passive voice" means in my Word documents, and what foreigners mean
when they ask me for the past perfect continous tense of a word,
something that some of you fellow travellers have probably encountered
as well!

After some Internet searching through job agencies abroad, and a 1
hour overseas phone interview, I accepted a job offer to go teach
English in Seoul for a year, for a company called Berlitz
International, a world renowned Language Centre.

Basically I will be teaching conversational English to mainly adults
working for companies like Samsung, LG and so on (hopefully I can
score free phones and stuff off them). Airfare and accomodation
(right in the centre of Seoul) is mostly paid for, tax is pretty low
(approx 4-9%), and is a great way of learning about another culture,
by living amongst them. As well as doing all the touristy stuff like
venturing into the Demilitarized Zone (where North and South Korean
soldiers stand literally centimetres apart facing each other), I've
already got a couple of local friends in Korea i'm planning to meet
with to help me see and learn about the real Seoul. It's gonna be fun!


AND SO

After several long delays with getting the work visa (was trying to
leave 3 weeks ago!), I should now be leaving Melbourne next Monday. I
will first spend a few days in Malaysia seeing the sights before
heading up to Seoul in mid June, where the next chapter of my life
will begin. It will be sad to leave everything and everyone behind
once again. But it will also be quite interesting living and working
in a country where English isn't the first language and the culture is
different from my Australian upbringing. I wonder how many people I'll
offend in my first week?

Wish me luck!

No comments: